Garrett Hall was the first large dining hall built at the University of Virginia. Completed in 1908, it was designed by McKim, Mead & White, a prominent early-twentieth-century architecture firm and is situated just west of the University’s historic Lawn. 2RW provided MEP/FP engineering services when Garrett Hall and its annex were renovated to serve as the home of the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy. This project created office and classroom space to support the activities and programs of the students, faculty, and staff of the newly established school.
2RW provided MEP/FP engineering services for:
The MEP/FP system upgrades created a more comfortable environment for building occupants, reduced heating and electricity costs, and have enhanced the learning environment with the addition of natural ventilation and lighting strategies.
OWNER: University of Virginia
TIMEFRAME: 2009 – 2012
SIZE: 24,000 SF
COST: $12.2 million
The project complied with the University’s sustainability program, and took advantage of Virginia’s Rehabilitation Tax Credit program.