The Historic Masonic Theatre was built in 1905 as an opera house and Masonic lodge. It was once described as the grandest of Clifton Forge’s buildings. The restoration of this 110-year-old icon was undertaken to restore the building to its original glory and enhance the town’s growing arts and culture scene. The new facility is a state-of-the-art theatre that maintains the historic details of its original Beaux-Arts architecture. The versatile redesign includes four venues that can be used for performances, exhibits, and community activities.
2RW designed all-new MEP/FP systems for the theatre. This included zoned heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) along with plumbing, power, and lighting systems for the entire building.
One of the biggest challenges of this project was identifying ways to incorporate modern systems and amenities into the theatre without compromising the building’s historic integrity. After weighing options for the placement and installation of heating and cooling systems a decision was made to install the systems under the theatre seats. This strategy minimized negative impact to the theatre’s historic structure and acoustics and created a more comfortable environment for the audience.
OWNER: Masonic Theatre Preservation Foundation
TIMEFRAME: 2010 – 2016
SIZE: 26,240 SF
COST: $6.5 million